The first sex toy Mindy Browning ever purchased was also the one she believes poisoned her […] it caused such severe pain that she could barely speak. After reading dozens of articles and horror stories online, she was convinced: The dildo had caused a chemical burn.
Believe it or not, sex toys remain unregulated in the United States. And because there are virtually no safety standards to dictate what chemicals can be used in sex toys, manufacturers are free to make their products with whatever they want […]
For now, there are some resources available to consumers. Both the Progressive Pleasure Club and the Coalition Against Toxic Toys highlight sex shops nationwide that specialize in “body safe” nontoxic toys, many of which can be purchased online. And several blogs, such as Hey Epiphora and Dangerous Lilly, review sex toys for safety—and efficacy.
(via Are Your Sex Toys Safe?)